cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

BUY-SELL-WHY June 2020

JUNE B/S/W

I was delighted that 150 B/S/W messages were posted in May.   Hoping we continue sharing useful thoughts and insights, let me remind you  to report recent trades -- and your reasons why -- for the benefit of the community.   Timeliness is key.

Please keep posts brief, but certainly actionable and pithy.   No long conversations, please.   

Questions and insightful comments are welcome , but do stay on point.  

0 Kudos
112 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY June 2020

Added yet again to NCV and to QQQX as they squeeze out another little rise in prices on a strong market day. Riots?   Technicals remain intact.    Evidently markets are happy when DT is locked down in his bunker.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Opened a position in VCIT in two IRA accounts - slowly rotating out of PIGIX. I agree with @chang about moving away from “black boxes” and secret sauces that I don’t understand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

This morning I opened a position it HQL to accompany my current position in THQ which is several years old. 

I am interested in HQL because of the focus on biotech, something discussed by someone here in May.  The other comparable Tekla choice would  be HQH, but HQL has more biotech than HQH and less big pharma.  No insurance providers in HQL, if I remember right.  Over the long term I consider both big pharma and health insurance providers as vulnerable to attempts to cut health care costs.

Alan

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Sold 1/6 of IGR position for CG=15 months distributions to add to cash position which is now 18%

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bought a little bit of ISTB @ 51.19$. I think it will do a little better than cash.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Bought or added to several funds today to reduce cash: ACWI, BIV, BSV, PIMIX, VCSH, VTI, VFIUX, and VMLUX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Small additions to my holdings in Vanguard’s total international index fund and intermediate-term tax exempt bond fund.  Trying to keep international close to 33% of equity holdings in my taxable account, and shore up my bond holdings to keep my overall allocation to 70/30.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Added to PHK. Cut its distribution to .048, but at 5.18 it is paying over 11% and at relatively nice discount to usual premium

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Sold 2/3 of FAGCX ,Had it's Run.

Added to SDSCX, BCSIX and  ACFOX.

Reinvested the money.

Regards, Ron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Added a little to VGHCX on the diplet, yesterday. Other than that, I have been actively, inactive recently. I'm within spitting distance of where I started the year. Many inelegant trades that I turned too soon into cash rather than riding higher, not withstanding, I'm okay. As of now I'm still 20% cash, 4% EDV, 40% PIMIX (which has been quite the workhorse in the 6 weeks I've owned it) and other funds/stocks. I'm prepared to make some larger moves but am waiting. Gee, petulance, famine, brink of civil war... The market keeps climbing the 'wall of worry'. I guess we got our wall after all. Stay well and safe, everyone.

Highlighted
Explorer ○

After yet another cut in the yield of NSL was just announced, I sold my position.  I still hold two senior loan CEFs -- BGB and BGX -- and these are also on my watch list to sell.

Alan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Although I still have a large position in PFN/PFL, am just not comfortable buying any more Pimco CEFs at their current premia.  I note GGM is tracking Pimco debt CEFs quite closely at much smaller premium, and with strong current technicals.   Bought a block there and added, yes, once again, to NCV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Moved a small allotment of funds from MMkt to VFIAX in two 403b accounts.  These are funds that were formally in a TIAA Real Estate account.  So the rotation was away from RE (in February & March) to cash, and now to S&P 500.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

I love this monthly thread because it is a wonderfully instructive reminder regarding how not to invest.  

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@cegibbs wrote:

I love this monthly thread because it is wonderful instructional reminder regarding how not to invest.

If you can't cook, keep out of the kitchen, or you will hurt yourself trying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Added to ABBV.  

Over 5% yield.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

NRGX announces it will maintain current dist, but the next quarterly after that will be slashed.   You'd normally expect a such big yielder  to drop hard on XD and then slowly recover -- but maybe not now with smaller payouts ahead.  Sold 2/3 my position for very small gain.   NRGX reporting over 100% of assets in treasurys .  Have NO idea how an "energy fund" does that without massive esoteric trading.  Another Pimco "black box" to me.   I feel better off with preferreds & convertibles for now.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sold $42500 in index funds at COB yesterday. Selling another $61500 at COB today.

Why? Moving away from index funds in favor of sector funds and select individual issues. Feeling like the time is right for some selling. Had added significantly to individual equities in late March, now rebalancing back to lower equity allocation overall. After today am still about 5-10% overweight equities for my present risk appetite. Will likely continue selling into strength. . 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bought AMAT on Fundamentals and the nature of it's business.

0 Kudos
Announcements