cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY June 2020

Bought some equity index in my 403-b account on the dip.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bought VUG at the close in my TDA account, using BSV to fund it. I will likely convert this later to Primecap (at VG) when my 401k rollover is complete. 

Also made a tiny purchase of MATFX using balance of cash in my core account. MATFX is actually showing very low correlation with the US markets.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Chang, 

Thanks for your reply to my earlier post.

I see you just bought VUG.  Fidelity recently introduced FBCG (active ETF replicating their Blue Chip Growth fund, FBGRX ($32B AUM)).  FBCG has only $13M in AUM but trading volume is healthy at 90K shares.  FBGRX (FBCG proxy) seems to have outperformed VUG.  I will be buying FBCG and BSV (for future equity trades) in taxable account. 

A

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya wrote:

Chang, 

Thanks for your reply to my earlier post.

I see you just bought VUG.  Fidelity recently introduced FBCG (active ETF replicating their Blue Chip Growth fund, FBGRX ($32B AUM)).  FBCG has only $13M in AUM but trading volume is healthy at 90K shares.  FBGRX (FBCG proxy) seems to have outperformed VUG.  I will be buying FBCG and BSV (for future equity trades) in taxable account. 

A

@Anitya I see that FBCG's average vol is 77k or about $1.6m/day. Compare to VUG's 1.3m shares = $255m/day. I'm not sure FBCG's volume is "healthy" enough for me. I bought $50k which would be about 3% of FBCG's daily volume ... that's not small! (That would be the equivalent of buying $7.6 million of VUG.) I'm fussy about liquidity of ETFs / CEFs / stocks, and won't consider any that are not extremely liquid (bid/ask spreads of 1-2c maximum).

I'm not a day trader, which is why I generally prefer OEFs. The only reason I bought VUG (instead of VIGAX or FSPGX) and BIV / BSV (instead of VBILX / VBIRX) is because these holdings are at TDA and not Fido or VG.

As an aside, I don't really understand the concept of an "active ETF", and  I don't think I would own one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@chang,  

I think it is a good idea for anybody not to buy FBCG at this time at such a low AUM because there is always a risk the fund family will liquidate it if the ETF does not gather sufficient AUM.  I wait until an ETF gathers at least $100M.  There is plenty of history of ETFs being liquidated for not being able to gather AUMs. 

I was not trying to overstate FBCG trading volume.  I just picked Friday trading volume of 87K to say it is 90K as a proxy for retail market interest for a newly launched ETF.   All the equity investments in my taxable accounts are via ETFs.  Agree Bid-Ask spreads and liquidity are very important for ETF ownership.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Bought a little Facebook (FB) and Bank of America (BAC).  Single stocks are a very small part of my portfolio, but I like these companies long term.  Also added to California intermediate term tax exempt muni bonds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Picked up a little PCI, at small discount. Added some to TRBCX, mostly because I was bored. Interesting times, these.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I posted the following on another thread:

I communicated with Richardsok recently via e-mail.

He asked that, for clarity, I state that "rokstar = richardsok."

He is unsure why M* has not reinstated his posting ability.

He currently plans to go on a sabbatical...taking some time off to refresh, and assess future posting.

Richardsok was the monthly initiator of the B/S/W thread.  I offered to start the 1 July monthly thread; and he said yes, if I like.  I will post this on the B/S/W thread.

Best wishes, richardsok.

R48

-------------------------------------------------------

I will start the July thread on 1 July...unless someone else wants to do this.

R48

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Thanks, R48

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sold the VUG at $200.25 that I bought Friday at $196. Not like me to day trade, but I figured here’s a $1,062.50 profit being served up on a silver platter with watercress around it, and I’m gonna take it.

There will be more dips to buy back on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

That would be great if you could keep this thread going, R48.  Thanks for taking the time and energy to do so, I certainly appreciate it, as I am sure others do, as well.  And with that, we are off to another month!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Stop

STOP

STOP!

Report on new B/S/W thread for JULY 2020.

This thread is closed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@retiredat48 wrote:

I posted the following on another thread:

I communicated with Richardsok recently via e-mail.

He asked that, for clarity, I state that "rokstar = richardsok."

He is unsure why M* has not reinstated his posting ability.

He currently plans to go on a sabbatical...taking some time off to refresh, and assess future posting.

Richardsok was the monthly initiator of the B/S/W thread.  I offered to start the 1 July monthly thread; and he said yes, if I like.  I will post this on the B/S/W thread.

Best wishes, richardsok.

R48

-------------------------------------------------------

I will start the July thread on 1 July...unless someone else wants to do this.

R48

I was going to do it if no one else was. Thanks, R48. Give my best to richardsok. It's unfortunate how this developed. Stay well. - rm

Announcements