cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
richardsok
Participant ○

BUY-SELL-WHY January 2020

Report your trades, please.   Brief commentaries or questions are permitted, but longer discussions should be held in a separate thread.

45 Replies
richardsok
Participant ○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY January 2020

New Year volatility may have been a needless fear of mine, so I am cautiously putting more cash to work.  BOUGHT AHTpF, ARLP, PTY and XFLT (new positions)   and added a little to PTY and CEFL all for promising technicals and distributions.     Took gains on NHF and on NYMT; charts appear struggling against resistance.

BrianG
Participant ○

Sold small position in PCI to top off for RMDs and simplify portfolio.

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

Bought FRIFX with my 2020 IRA contribution. Oddly enough, it was one of the very few funds which were down today (probably because it has some SCV exposure, and SCV did not participate in the rally).

0 Kudos
DocWu
Explorer ○○○

1. Sold FFRHX (floating rate bond OEF) and bought BCOSX
2. Added to FSPHX (Fidelity healthcare select),

(edit)
3. Sold ABBV out of taxable a day after the above  for a little profit, Cutting down on individual holdings in favor of mutual funds.

0 Kudos
spud
Explorer ○

followed richardsok into AHTpF for income and some gain after checking the fidelity preferred stock screener. I rely on buying CEFs and preferred stocks for this income and with dick and LordXot gone i really appreciate richard's effort into championing this thread and his value input..

0 Kudos
DocWu
Explorer ○○○

MPC, Marathon Petroleum, more known for its Speedway sales than pump or pipeline sales was down 6.6% from Thursday's close this morning with no news, Earnings report not due til 1/29. I added to current holdings.

0 Kudos
NomasDOZ2
Follower ○○

Bought back 2 shares of JPM @ $ 136.60 relacing two shares sold last week and the first week of DEc @ $140.39 and $138.84. No comm trading gets those back in my o/IRA acct with a $6 reduction in cost basis.

Started Texas SC Ute VST today with 10 shares @$22.90 in the Roth.  A poster child for the Green New Deal the Stock likely beaten down two factors and still only yielding 2.2%.   VST has just VERY recently taken out a peer in an all cash deal so there is some additional leverage getting aded there.  They have also been taking state subsidies with strings attached in their solar farm   with a significantly large battery storage capacity contingent.  The State and the PUC  have then required them to charge higher rates on these Alt energy Megawatts.  So there may be an issue as to how profitable it will be generating green power if there is not enough demand for it at the higher prevailing rates they must charge vs conventional gas generation.  VST may eventually become a take over candidate themselves perhaps NRG would make an offer.  

0 Kudos
theorist
Explorer ○

Creating new holdings in Rpgax (T Rowe Price Global Allocation) , Npffx (American Funds New Perspective) and  Nwffx (American Funds New World),  and adding to Fpurx (Fidelity Puritan).

0 Kudos
richardsok
Participant ○

Another AM I go to M* Discussion and this thread is nowhere to be found.  AGAIN I had to climb in through the back window by first clicking on "Fidelity Forum" to find it.   Now HOW would a casual new lurker know this thread exists or how to find it when it is not readily visible with all the other current threads?  I just detest all the empty, useless white space the new M* site shoves at us.

(Sorry for the rant.)

Anyway, I hesitate to post this trade because it is so counter-intuitive.  Purely on recent technicals, I bought a small speculative position in LABD (inverse biotech).  Will probably be a brief holding, but don't think I'll lose much if mkt turns against me.

richardsok
Participant ○

Follow- up with today's sales, all were recent XDs:   UNIT for a decent gain, ZTR for a wash and ARI fetched a big 65 bucks.   Added a tad more of MRRL.

chang
Valued Contributor

Have a small MM balance, which will be moved today into a HY muni OEF.

My theory is that so much money poured into taxable FI in 2019, that many people will be shocked at their dividend income and taxes come April, and will ask “why didn’t I buy municipal bonds?” No tax hikes coming up (unless Armageddon happens in November) but munis have been nevertheless a sideshow compared to the enormous interest in taxable FI.
DocWu
Explorer ○○○

In regard to your comments, Chang, I queried HY Muni at Fidelity and the best performer was ORNAX, paying $.028 monthly for about 4.5% distribution? There is 4.% load, but Fidelity says they waive it. I did not see that waiver show on the order box, but I bought a little today ($2K) for the taxable account to see what happens with the order process.

Edit: The Fidelity transaction did waive the load fee. ORNAX is my first bond fund in a taxable account.
Edit: Also swept $700 in FXAIX from other distributions today.

0 Kudos
richardsok
Participant ○

The scenario could change in an instant, but so far Iran's response appears muted (to me, at least).  The country has thousands of missiles stockpiled and lofts just fifteen of them at our overseas army bases -- and no report of any casualties?  Trump would have done better to have kept his mouth shut, rather than publicly announce Iran is "standing down".  That kind of posturing just gives Imams incentive to hit again to show they are defying the Big Infidel..

For the moment it appears neither DJT nor the mullahs want a big war, just to preen for their audience. So the oil spike may be short lived, courtesy of the global petro glut.    Interesting, however, that JPMorgan predicts an average global supply SHORTAGE of 200,000 barrels a day later this year -- when earlier they predicted a 600,000 barrel daily surplus.

Bottom line:  I'm taking gains on half my large position in OXY.    I still have over-allocation in energy via NRGX, MLPQ, KNOP & GLOP.

Buying just a bit in HRZN and HMLP to trade.   In the IRA took on a bit of CEQPpreferred as an expected longer hold.  

richardsok
Participant ○

Right after the post above I checked the IRA and saw Vermillion Energy (VET) was dropping like a stone.  Unloaded it all for 12% gain (Coulda been 17%. *sigh*)

rhythmmethod
Participant ○

Happy New Year, all. I added to my Roth IRA JENSX on Jan 2 (still may DCA in a bit more) and JMUTX in wife IRA. Today I took a decent position in EDV. I'm feeling like this market is on a bit of a sugar high and I'm wondering if some event(s) might take the candy away. Good luck. -rm

0 Kudos
Aspanu92
Follower ○○

Went out of my comfort zone (with markets considered to be at its peak) and initiated small positions in the following (to add 'growth' flavor to the taxable account - aim is to add to these on the dips and hold for years to come):

TSLA, AVGO, MCO, NVDA, AMT, QCOM, RACE & MCO

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

@DocWu wrote:

In regard to your comments, Chang, I queried HY Muni at Fidelity and the best performer was ORNAX, paying $.028 monthly for about 4.5% distribution? There is 4.% load, but Fidelity says they waive it. I did not see that waiver show on the order box, but I bought a little today ($2K) for the taxable account to see what happens with the order process.

Edit: The Fidelity transaction did waive the load fee. ORNAX is my first bond fund in a taxable account.
Edit: Also swept $700 in FXAIX from other distributions today.

Good luck. 1.19% ER is way too high for me ... also Oppenheimer munis are too risky for my liking. I know LT results are good. But LT we are all going to be dead, too.

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Happy New Year, all. I added to my Roth IRA JENSX on Jan 2 (still may DCA in a bit more) and JMUTX in wife IRA. Today I took a decent position in EDV. I'm feeling like this market is on a bit of a sugar high and I'm wondering if some event(s) might take the candy away. Good luck. -rm

Sugar, shmuger. The Dow will close > 34,000 on 12/31/2020.

BigTom
Explorer ○

@chang wrote:

My theory is that so much money poured into taxable FI in 2019, that many people will be shocked at their dividend income and taxes come April, and will ask “why didn’t I buy municipal bonds?” No tax hikes coming up (unless Armageddon happens in November) but munis have been nevertheless a sideshow compared to the enormous interest in taxable FI.

I wouldn’t say muni’s have been a sideshow in FI. They have had strong inflows in 2019.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_municipal_bond_mutual_fund_flows

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in