Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BRK/B BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC

@ArtieNJ wrote:

Saw this on Fidelity page.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/warren-buffetts-big-bet-on-airlines-could-have-lost-nearly-3-billi... 

So? 43% of BRK assets are invested in banks which are also down. BRK owns almost 10% each of WFC and BAC. BAC is down 20% in last 3 weeks, WFC is down 16%. Market cap of WFC has declined from 250B at end of 2019 to 160B today which is a loss of 9B to BRK.

w. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Besides its investments, BRK makes max cash flows from insurance business and as such it is highly correlated with insurance index.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ArtieNJ wrote:

Saw this on Fidelity page.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/warren-buffetts-big-bet-on-airlines-could-have-lost-nearly-3-billi... 

Well that makes me feel real good not to be rich. I will never lose three billion dollars in my lifetime.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

That 100+B available to invest will come in handy now.  There is (and will be) distress in certain corners of the market and I expect Buffett's investment committee to be active.  Transportation / liesure/ entertainment / energy are a few that come to my mind.

If not anything, they can scoop up fixed income issues or convertibles.   I am likely to add to my BRK holding. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya wrote:

That 100+B available to invest will come in handy now.  There is (and will be) distress in certain corners of the market and I expect Buffett's investment committee to be active.  Transportation / liesure/ entertainment / energy are a few that come to my mind.

If not anything, they can scoop up fixed income issues or convertibles.   I am likely to add to my BRK holding. 

Why would Buffett invest in loser sectors such as leisure, entertainment and energy? BRK has lost over 3B in the airlines it owns since the Covina virus hit the screens and will lose more. If Buffet wants to bet on the future FAANG stocks are on sale as is BA down 38% from its high of 1 year ago. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I own BKK.b and value it for its lack of volatility and steady growth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@erryl wrote:

I own BKK.b and value it for its lack of volatility and steady growth.

So? UTG has better TR 

BRKB. TR      UTG TR

YTD  -9.06 %        -2.95%

1 yr.  2.65             18.69

5 yr.  7.23             12.55

10 yr 9.47             14.50

15 yr. 8.62            12.09

I assume you meant BRKB, not BKKb

Highlighted
Follower ○○

It has not been a great year for BRK.B Hopefully it turns around. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

BRK/B and American Funds American Mutual (AMRMX) are my top 2 value investments. I will continue with them. They are both underperforming like all value.

My another fund PARWX (Parnassus Endeavor) is also value. It did quite good last year but lagging this year. So thinking if to keep or fold. It requires a lot of courage to keep value stuff. YTD -  value is lagging growth by like 20+ %.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@TJ wrote:

It has not been a great year for BRK.B Hopefully it turns around. 

BRK.B trails the "stupid" index SP500 for 1-3-5-10 years(chart).  Buffett finally and luckily bought Apple after decades of avoiding high tech.

0 Kudos
Announcements