cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: BRK/B BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC

Thanks. I am not going to add to BRK/B.

It has given me 300% returns since I bought it in 2009. Nothing to complain about. It is in retirement account so no tax issues in selling it. I will keep it for now, to see if post Covid bounce helps it as the traditional economy comes back.

Only recommended replacement so far seems to be SCHD.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

Thanks. I am not going to add to BRK/B.

It has given me 300% returns since I bought it in 2009. Nothing to complain about. It is in retirement account so no tax issues in selling it. I will keep it for now, to see if post Covid bounce helps it as the traditional economy comes back.

Only recommended replacement so far seems to be SCHD.

M* shows BRK.B returned 267.40% since Jan 1st 2009

M* shows VTI returned 424.74% since Jan 1st 2009

How did you arrive at a 300% return?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

I checked the my fidelity account.

I bought it in 4 buckets starting from 11/19/2008 to 02/18/2009.  Fidelity shows me 297.98 % total gain.

I see buying SP500 would have been much better. May be I should just replace it by V00 or VTI.

( I started investing in 2008 at age of around 40. All the value investing sites were going on and on about how great Buffett is and were like Buffett cult sites. So I invested in BRK/B. I seriously doubt I will have a comfortable retirement given how conservative I have been in investing and how late I started. I was just not financially aware.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

I checked the my fidelity account.

I bought it in 4 buckets starting from 11/19/2008 to 02/18/2009.  Fidelity shows me 297.98 % total gain.

I see buying SP500 would have been much better. May be I should just replace it by V00 or VTI.

( I started investing in 2008 at age of around 40. All the value investing sites were going on and on about how great Buffett is and were like Buffett cult sites. So I invested in BRK/B. I seriously doubt I will have a comfortable retirement given how conservative I have been in investing and how late I started. I was just not financially aware.)

Ok different that explains the difference, thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

You are right that starting to invest at 40 is late.  I started at 30, which certainly wasn’t early.

Here are some things I would say about starting late:

1) you need to save more... save the absolute maximum you can afford... if you can afford 20%, do it!

2) regardless of how much you can afford to save now, increase it over time as you make more

3) you should invest more conservatively, not more aggressively... because you don’t have as much time to recover from a setback

I think it is appropriate that you have an equity heavy portfolio in this age of near zero interest rates.  If I were you, I would not chase high flyers, though.  Think “value” and “dividend income.”  Obviously, BRK is not for dividends but it is a unique value. I am 70 and have a slice of it in my portfolio.  My daughter has it in her portfolio, too.

When investing, don’t look at other investments and think of what might have been if only you bought Amazon or Apple or whatever... chasing profits rarely works out in the long run.

erryl

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Geico, the BRK insurance arm, spends a riduculous amount on advertising to attract new customers.  Like most insurance cos., they keep raising rates on existing policy holders, and keep wasting money on attracting new ones.  Nationwide spends the least on advertising. 

hku_0-1599888449925.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Contrary to popular belief, utilities cannot charge whatever they want.  Their rates and refunds are dictated by the state governments.  EX. Nevada Power owned by BRK, is giving refunds to all customers:

The Public Utilities Commission of Nevada ordered NV Energy to return $59.7 million to current customers, citing over-earnings from 2018 and 2019.

The agency says the credit will help with some of the financial pressure caused by the pandemic.

The credit should show up in the October billing cycle.

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Just saw the news, fidelity contrafund has 4.4% in berkshire. To counterbalance the tech? 

From portfolio design perspective, why would danoff buy berkshire?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

Just saw the news, fidelity contrafund has 4.4% in berkshire. To counterbalance the tech? 

From portfolio design perspective, why would danoff buy berkshire?

How does that counter balance the tech side when 43% of BRK market cap is AAPL?

0 Kudos
Announcements