cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

Adios

Some time back I received repeated jabs about how I'm an example how NOT to invest. I finally snapped back and was suspended  for 24 hours. That was three weeks ago and I still can't enter a post.  (Is this lockout a mistake? Or am I permanently banned?) I feel I owe a farewell message so I'm breaking rules (just this once) to say adios to the forum with this one-time-only ID. You know who I am.

Some have asked for demonstrations of investing success. Others have surmised trading on the B/S/W may be fictional (Both are reasonable suspicions among strangers.) So I am posting the best demonstration of my record I can think of – a screen shot from my Monthly June 4, 2020 Schwab account showing eleven years annual results from inception up to the present. I have covered up all personal information, account numbers and amounts, leaving only the time periods and annual performance percentages. (Sorry for the crudity; I don't know how to digitally block out sections of an actual screen shot.) Note on extreme top Windows shows I'm on my “Schwab Client” page.
Across the eleven years, you see my 9.62% annual investment performance is only mediocre. In the early years I would have done better to have just dumped everything into a good equity fund.
But as I developed low-beta/technical skills, performance improved in recent years, with better self-discipline in LoVol+Tech theory. For Three-Year, One-Year, YTD and 90-Day results, I've achieved and maintained true Alpha.

Ex: On on 6/4/2020 my One Year is +14.3% against SPY 13.2%. ….... YTD I'm +12.3% against -2.8% SPY ….... and for the latest 90-day I'm +6.4% against flat for SPY. With growing confidence, I believe my LoVol+Tech performance is competitive with anyone on these boards. (BTW posting account screen shots is dangerous! I took great care to do it just this once.)

My recent Merrill Lynch IRA performance is not that good and is not included here. I only show my combined taxable accounts. Merrill won't permit me to easily share her IRA data with other brokerages. The IRA lags because (1) I've been taking the required withdrawals (2) Merrill won't permit any kind of inverse/hedging buys, making disciplined signal trading impossible and (3) it's cumbersome to apply LoVol+T when you trade by phoning your broker. (They always want to DISCUSS it and discourage trading!) I'm much better when it's just me and the tech signals.

I still believe the beauty of LoVol+T is that it helps minimize market noise, biases and those inner emotional demons described in the UCal study of small investor behavior cited by Bentley.

I posted greatly simplified nuts & bolts descriptions of my LoVol+T theory in my posts around April 11,12,13. No need to repeat them here.

A final word: The B/S/W thread was started by R48. He took a lot of guff for his efforts and was smart enough to finally reduce his presence. Having nursed B/S/W along, it's clearly time for me to follow his example.   Once a habitual pest gets a taste to “pursue & taunt” across different threads, the practice never stops.

That's something I don't need at this late point in my life. So with my performance demonstrated, I'm taking a “time out” and if I return, will greatly reduce activity. I don't need the diet of unserious taunts nor actively post under closely-watched sufferance too close to censorship, IMO.

There are too many contributors to thank – I'd be sure to forget some. So THANK YOU. (You know who you are.) It's been fun.

Good health & prosperity to all.

0.jpg
20 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adios

It's really too bad you can't go about your business and ignore your detractors .

You have to do what you got to do, you'll be missed. 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

You need to do a lot worse to get permanently banned. I don’t consider 9% + necessarily mediocre. Several here crave 4-5%. 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Mistakes happen. I, and others don't know the details but Morningstar doesn't normally ban many posters. Appears to be a glitch. Never take first impressions as gospel as many of us have learned through the years, that is not so....

You will be missed. I say that because all posters leave us with "thoughts" [pro/con] against what we post. Through the years, we learned that we cannot be thin skinned as some posters are very aggressive and and the aggression observed came across the wrong way....

My advise, for whatever it is worth at the current time, is to "stay the limit" and give it another go. Some of us will agree with you in your posts and some will not. Some will be aggressive and we need to give these people some room to "vent" as they may not be doing as well as you....

Good luck with your final decision....

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@xray wrote:

Mistakes happen. I, and others don't know the details but Morningstar doesn't normally ban many posters. Appears to be a glitch. Never take first impressions as gospel as many of us have learned through the years, that is not so....

Yeah, I think this has to be a normal, run-of-the-mill, M* screw-up.  I'm pretty sure that if there was a ban, it would have been clearly indicated to him and everyone else.

I, too, hope he reconsiders; as every loss here brings us closer to extinction...

PS: I finally remembered and so edited by post!  If you didn't read the original... never mind!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I hate to be ignorant but who is @rokstar  who is leaving?

Fishingrod.

I hate to lose anybody that seems reasonable.

Fishingrod

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Fishingrod wrote:

Fishingrod.

This is his first and only post on M*. I think we’re being pranked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Look at the photo, 9.62% return. A well known poster's claim 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sorry... still don't know who it is and if he is afraid to say, for some reason, guess I can only say "bye."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FatKat wrote:

Look at the photo, 9.62% return. A well known poster's claim 

Note that this is not a YTD figure, so not who you think.  If I’m remembering correctly, this would be the guy who always is concerned with “Divies”.  Been put into time out on a couple of occasions. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The OP says “Across the eleven years, you see my 9.62% annual investment performance” but the photo indicates it is three-months only. Not sure how to reconcile this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@chang,

I see results from 1/1/2009 in the picture. I also see what you see.

I don't know who it is but would like to know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Richardsok was suspended for calling Cegibs "giblets" after Cegibs felt some strange need to insult Buy Sell thread participants.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

@Fishingrod wrote:

Fishingrod.

This is his first and only post on M*. I think we’re being pranked.

The poster is real.  

If one is banned, the only way to post is via another poster posting your words, or you return under a new moniker.

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I communicated with Richardsok recently via e-mail.

He asked that, for clarity, I state that "rokstar = richardsok."

He is unsure why M* has not reinstated his posting ability.

He currently plans to go on a sabbatical...taking some time off to refresh, and assess future posting.

Richardsok was the monthly initiator of the B/S/W thread.  I offered to start the 1 July monthly thread; and he said yes, if I like.  I will post this on the B/S/W thread.

Best wishes, richardsok.

R48

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Richardsok profile shows that he has been online for quite a while [Green dot]. I checked that even a couple of days after his 24-hr ban 4 wks ago and I thought his non-postings were voluntary. Is that some computer hang? Attn @RyanM .   

https://community.morningstar.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/3706

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Would be a shame to lose Richard, especially after a ban that was given to the wrong protagonist in the spat referred to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

Would be a shame to lose Richard, especially after a ban that was given to the wrong protagonist in the spat referred to.

+1

He was the main sponsor of running the continuous Buys/Sells/Why thread.  It was the troll-like activity of a small few, that got to him.

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@yogibearbull wrote:

Richardsok profile shows that he has been online for quite a while [Green dot]. I checked that even a couple of days after his 24-hr ban 4 wks ago and I thought his non-postings were voluntary. Is that some computer hang? Attn @RyanM .   

https://community.morningstar.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/3706

@richardsok  should be able to post from that account again. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I apologize to all for misidentifying the mystery poster.  The person I thought it was had been notably, and uncharacteristically quiet; or at least so it seemed to me.  Apologies to him as well. 

0 Kudos
Announcements