cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Low-Volatility SPLV, USMV After Rebalancing

Anitya,

SSIAX has a 12b-1 fee and frankly, that’s a non-starter for me, and I don’t presently have an allocation fund in my taxable account(s).  Mostly equity indexes (total, mid, small) and VG interm-tax exempt.  I have a good chunk of change available in taxable, held in reserve for a potential revisit of March lows and a few years of living expenses.  Sure wish I had bought QQQ, but to make up for it, I exchanged some VPMAX for FOCKX in a 457b acct.

added: Vanguard Tax-managed Balanced looks like a fit for a taxable acct. Approx 50/50 blend allocation; .09% er; 5.7-Bil AUM.

Yogi,

My VMNVX money went into VDADX and VBILX. Also own VWIAX and VWENX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Thanks. 

I also own ACWV in a taxable account.  Too much tax to sell.  So, will just ride that out and may be depreciating dollar will help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Tax-loss harvesting would help you there... oh, okay, you’ve been riding the low vol for a while. I was late to the party and was just starting to enjoy it until March when...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Unless you are buying institutional class shares, do not you always have to pay 12b-1 fees?  What am I missing? 

When institutional share minimums are $1+M at every brokerage I have, I do not see how I can avoid 12b-1 fees. 

It is only 25 basis points, which is not big enough for me to sway an investment decision.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

What is the menu path to the UD CR for your screenshot?

VFINX vs USMV , VMVFX. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@shipwreckdalone wrote:

What is the menu path to the UD CR for your screenshot?

VFINX vs USMV , VMVFX. 

That is using old M* Ratings & Risk page. Start with VFINX and then add by Compare SPLV, USMV, VMVFX.   http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/ratings-risk.action?t=VFINX&region=usa&culture=en-US

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Anitya,

25 basis points as a load hidden in plain sight for (what I recall) advertising the fund just pis*es me off; and apart from being a consistent out-performer like PRWCX there will be other funds without the fee available.  

So-called “12b-1 fees” are fees paid out of mutual fund or ETF assets to cover the costs of distribution – marketing and selling mutual fund shares – and sometimes to cover the costs of providing shareholder services. 12b-1 fees get their name from the SEC rule that authorizes a fund to charge them.”

It’s why I’m primarily a Vanguard guy - low fees.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

At this time, balanced funds look very attractive relative to minimum volatility.   May be balanced funds will crap out when interest rates rise kicking both equities and FI, but for now that is not a problem. 

0 Kudos
Announcements