cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Core-Plus and Multisector Bond ETFs

@Anitya asked in another thread if there were any core-plus and multisector ETFs.

I provided some examples of core-plus ETFs and @BrianG provided a MS ETF.

So, I searched M* for all such ETFs using M* ETF Screener and found a list [16 + 8 = 24, but only 20 are shown] in M* database. Familiar to posters may be core-plus FBND (active), BOND (active), TOTL (active), IUSB (total dollar-denominated bond index) and MS DIAL (index rebalanced monthly).

Screenshot 2020-06-22 16.08.51.png

YBB
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Core-Plus and Multisector Bond ETFs

Sorry Yogi, I was too early - see my post in FD's bond funds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Checked my Schwab account history and found that I held DIAL AND JPGB  Oct. - Nov. 2019 in tiny amounts. That was during the period when I owned A-shares of several MS bond funds which I began to sell after the penalty period ended and then concentrating on CEF investing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

See bond crash and rebound for selected core-plus and multisector ETFs.   https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=DIAL&compare=IUSB,BOND,FBND,TOTL&id=p67912923924

Screenshot 2020-06-22 18.45.57.png

YBB
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Yogi - Do you have any idea what your data means for the future?  Happy owner of one of the winners, but think it was just a lucky guess.  Thank you as always for what you do on this board.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@yogibearbull wrote:

@Anitya asked in another thread if there were any core-plus and multisector ETFs.

I provided some examples of core-plus ETFs and @BrianG provided a MS ETF.

So, I searched M* for all such ETFs using M* ETF Screener and found a list [16 + 8 = 24, but only 20 are shown] in M* database. Familiar to posters may be core-plus FBND (active), BOND (active), TOTL (active), IUSB (total dollar-denominated bond index) and MS DIAL (index rebalanced monthly).

Screenshot 2020-06-22 16.08.51.png

Because I have a stock heavy portfolio, I do not prefer the volatility resulting from discounts / premia of fixed income ETFs .   I was asking for Core plus and MS index funds, as in OEFs, but may be they are available only in ETFs.   I am happy to participate in this thread if what I was asking for is available only in ETFs.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@BD , it seems that multisector bond funds, even some core-plus, are becoming trading vehicles, and ETFs are more suitable for that. Unlike CEFs, their premiums/discounts are rare and transient; actually, one has to realize that liquid ETFs are unsuitable wrappers for illiquid stuff. What surprised me in the data was the extent of the downside, but also the quickness of the rebound - some OEFs fell hard but also didn't rebound as well [they were like eggs, not bouncing balls]. Also, for mutual funds/OEFs, depending on where/how they are held, one has 30 or 60 or 90 day hold due to fees and/or trading restrictions.

@Anitya , ETFs have sucked creativity from OEFs. So, now some stuff is available in ETF domain only. There isn't much in core-plus and MS in indexed OEFs. And investors who like indexed OEFs are slicers-and-dicers who like to do mixing themselves, so there may not be much demand for multi-sector/asset indexed OEFs. Knowing Vanguard model, if it ever moved into core-plus and/or MS ETFs, it will also have corresponding OEFs, but it can be a long wait.

Anyway, I pulled this discussion out of primarily mutual fund/OEF momo thread before someone objected to introducing off-topic materials there.

YBB
0 Kudos
Announcements