cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@MNfish wrote:

Although I clicked on reply to @jmrdnc (so no offense to him or her) I'm actually replying to the same dozen or so of you who engage in these garbage posts time and time again. My only question is "What's wrong with you people?" If every one of you was permanently banned it would be a blessing. Ryan, I say S**tcan all of 'em. 

Well, that’s pretty harsh.  I for one don’t think yogi should be canned.  He tries hard and posts a lot and sometimes there’s an interesting nugget in his stuff.  I urge you to reconsider the canning of yogi.

And if you mean I should be canned, I respectfully request just a little advance notice so I can resign first.  I’ve never been canned and I’d like to continue to brag on that to my grandkids.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@ElLoboWeren't you the "investor" who recently explained what cash flow was by actually explaining net income on an investing website?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@MNfish wrote:

@ElLoboWeren't you the "investor" who recently explained what cash flow was by actually explaining net income on an investing website?

Not sure, fish.  Give me a reference that I can look at, especially in context.  And how does it apply to THIS particular thread?

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Would it be easier to not involve yourself and pretend everyone else has been banned?

@MNfish wrote:

Although I clicked on reply to @jmrdnc (so no offense to him or her) I'm actually replying to the same dozen or so of you who engage in these garbage posts time and time again. My only question is "What's wrong with you people?" If every one of you was permanently banned it would be a blessing. Ryan, I say S**tcan all of 'em. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

It is a good day/weekend, sun is shining and the country is gradually re-opening.  

Plan to go out and take a long walk, what a wonderful life.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

It is a good day/weekend, sun is shining and the country is gradually re-opening.  

Plan to go out and take a long walk, what a wonderful life.

Absolutely, and as a lead in to Memorial Day weekend.

Alaska is the first state in the nation to be completely open.  Go Alaska!

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

@Bentley wrote:

If we are all lucky Ryan will lock this thread tonight.

You had better hope so, Mr.Bentley.  As a business owner and an educated adult you should be embarrassed for the harassment you've delivered over many years. 

Again, I suggest you start threads pertaining to your investment strategies, rather than the silly tracking of investors that invest in stocks or active funds. You have no interest in individual stocks, so why the warnings on AT&T, KMI, MLPL, etc?

I hardly think you are assisting investors to select the best investments for their portfolios regardless of their investment style. On the contrary, you are BENT on convincing every investor to go passive.

You have a good day, Bentley.

Why the warnings? You are new around here, but if you had been around in 2015, you would know why I spoke out against KMI and MLPL.

Let's take KMI first. It was a favorite investment for those seeking high dividends. It was hyped to the point that its leader/management team was put on a pedestal that could do no wrong. It was often brought up in discussions of passive vs. active and used in performance comparisons. In 2015 prices started to fall………the market was signaling something was wrong. Those who held the stock posted daily in multiple threads about the price falling. The overwhelming majority of comments were in support of buying more KMI as the price kept falling. I was intrigued by the steadfast position taken by the holders of the stock despite the market's clear signal; there was trouble brewing, so it led me to do a little DD on the company. What I found was a company selling at an astounding 40+ forward earnings and $40Billion in debt. Credit agencies had it on their watch list for a potential downgrade to junk. I posted references to articles that would have scared most rational investors. Rather than take anything negative about its financially engineered dividend, serious members would point to company press releases to support their position that KMI was still a good buy in the 40s.
As you know, my warnings fell on deaf ears as KMI went from 44 to 14, with a 75% dividend cut. Was the warning warranted? I believe it was.

Now MLPL was a misunderstood and hazardous product that was introduced to members in 2015. A thread started, which enticed many unsuspecting members into buying the product. Having had previous knowledge of the product, I tried to explain how dangerous a product it was when used as a buy and hold investment. One member who poo-pooed my concerns posted eight, maybe ten separate purchases, and would tag me when he bought more. The price kept falling while the yield was skyrocketing. If my memory serves me correctly, 10-13 members followed the lead of another and bought in. Everyone suffered, whether they purchased at 75 or 54, the product shutdown and returned $12 to investors locking in a very steep short term permanent loss.

Can you now understand why I warned members? Why would I take the abuse I did in speaking out against these two products? Simply because they were poor investment choices at the time of my postings, IMO.

Now AT&T. Despite your claims that I post negative AT&T articles because I knew you had invested in it, I posted negative pieces on the product before you ever showed up. My initial post on the legacy forums expressed concerns about the company's ability to continue raising its dividend in the long run. I cited poor management, excessive debt, and increasing competition. While they have taken some steps to cut debt, they still have a tough road in front of them.

Investing psychology is quite interesting. Expressing a negative opinion on an investment is taken as a personal attack by some. We are hard-wired to think that if we research enough, put in the time, study, read, watch CNBC, we can somehow outsmart Mr. Market. If Buffett can't do it consistently, thinking we can may not be prudent.

Had I been wrong with KMI or MLPL, I could understand why you would wonder why I spoke out against those two products. Seeing that I was spot on with both should have answered your own question.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

This thread is hilarious.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Bentley wrote:

@outandabout wrote:

@Bentley wrote:

If we are all lucky Ryan will lock this thread tonight.

You had better hope so, Mr.Bentley.  As a business owner and an educated adult you should be embarrassed for the harassment you've delivered over many years. 

Again, I suggest you start threads pertaining to your investment strategies, rather than the silly tracking of investors that invest in stocks or active funds. You have no interest in individual stocks, so why the warnings on AT&T, KMI, MLPL, etc?

I hardly think you are assisting investors to select the best investments for their portfolios regardless of their investment style. On the contrary, you are BENT on convincing every investor to go passive.

You have a good day, Bentley.

Why the warnings? You are new around here, but if you had been around in 2015, you would know why I spoke out against KMI and MLPL.

Let's take KMI first. It was a favorite investment for those seeking high dividends. It was hyped to the point that its leader/management team was put on a pedestal that could do no wrong. It was often brought up in discussions of passive vs. active and used in performance comparisons. In 2015 prices started to fall………the market was signaling something was wrong. Those who held the stock posted daily in multiple threads about the price falling. The overwhelming majority of comments were in support of buying more KMI as the price kept falling. I was intrigued by the steadfast position taken by the holders of the stock despite the market's clear signal; there was trouble brewing, so it led me to do a little DD on the company. What I found was a company selling at an astounding 40+ forward earnings and $40Billion in debt. Credit agencies had it on their watch list for a potential downgrade to junk. I posted references to articles that would have scared most rational investors. Rather than take anything negative about its financially engineered dividend, serious members would point to company press releases to support their position that KMI was still a good buy in the 40s.
As you know, my warnings fell on deaf ears as KMI went from 44 to 14, with a 75% dividend cut. Was the warning warranted? I believe it was.

Now MLPL was a misunderstood and hazardous product that was introduced to members in 2015. A thread started, which enticed many unsuspecting members into buying the product. Having had previous knowledge of the product, I tried to explain how dangerous a product it was when used as a buy and hold investment. One member who poo-pooed my concerns posted eight, maybe ten separate purchases, and would tag me when he bought more. The price kept falling while the yield was skyrocketing. If my memory serves me correctly, 10-13 members followed the lead of another and bought in. Everyone suffered, whether they purchased at 75 or 54, the product shutdown and returned $12 to investors locking in a very steep short term permanent loss.

Can you now understand why I warned members? Why would I take the abuse I did in speaking out against these two products? Simply because they were poor investment choices at the time of my postings, IMO.

Now AT&T. Despite your claims that I post negative AT&T articles because I knew you had invested in it, I posted negative pieces on the product before you ever showed up. My initial post on the legacy forums expressed concerns about the company's ability to continue raising its dividend in the long run. I cited poor management, excessive debt, and increasing competition. While they have taken some steps to cut debt, they still have a tough road in front of them.

Investing psychology is quite interesting. Expressing a negative opinion on an investment is taken as a personal attack by some. We are hard-wired to think that if we research enough, put in the time, study, read, watch CNBC, we can somehow outsmart Mr. Market. If Buffett can't do it consistently, thinking we can may not be prudent.

Had I been wrong with KMI or MLPL, I could understand why you would wonder why I spoke out against those two products. Seeing that I was spot on with both should have answered your own question.

So why does a passive investor like you even care how other's invest? I sense no compassion in you posts. So why the interest, other than to promote passive investing?

You compare returns of VTI to individual stocks when the returns favors your VTI holding, but you fail to understand they are two entirely different investments. 

So why do you even care about AT&T or KIM? I don't see you harassing  Yogi, Bill, Bob or Pete for their holdings.

It seems you wish the M* members should place you on some sort of pedestal for you insight into a few stocks.

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This thread is a real mess and is now locked. I hope everyone in the US has a fine Memorial Day weekend.

View solution in original post

Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.