cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Lots of interest in August on the PIMCO coverage. 

This article on SA brought a slew of comments, and some are quite insightful and useful.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4371212-pimco-cef-coverage-july-update?comments=show&v=1598714165 

 

Enjoy

GLTA

20 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Am I seeing correctly? Dick uses the FD1001 avatar and calls himself FD100000? Good reading.

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick


@astrokng wrote:

Lots of interest in August on the PIMCO coverage. 

This article on SA brought a slew of comments, and some are quite insightful and useful.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4371212-pimco-cef-coverage-july-update?comments=show&v=1598714165 

 

Enjoy

GLTA


I appreciate the sanguine take and have noticed that the NAV has done very well lately.  

What I'm wondering about is how the evolving Covid-19, mortgage forbearance situation, and potential future BKs may affect in particular the non-agency mortgages favored by the likes of PCI.  Hopefully they have some hedges in place to offset some of those risks.

Then again, a great vaccine and quick end to Covid would tend to be quite bullish I would think.

But the Fed is supportive, and PIMCO's managers are not potted plants and are likely taking mitigatory moves against risks I would think.

I've got a smallish allocation to PCI at 3%.  Any future downturn could be a buying opportunity.

And they have been performing well lately on the NAV.  FWIW.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick


@Gary1952 wrote:

Am I seeing correctly? Dick uses the FD1001 avatar and calls himself FD100000? Good reading.


You're right.  What's with that?  Is Dick just having fun?  A kind of parody?

I hadn't read Dick's posts for a long time.  They're excellent.  I wish he'd return to M*.

N.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

But there is a poster Dick Cod in the same thread. Very confusing and yes his posts were an asset here.


@norbertc wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

Am I seeing correctly? Dick uses the FD1001 avatar and calls himself FD100000? Good reading.


You're right.  What's with that?  Is Dick just having fun?  A kind of parody?

I hadn't read Dick's posts for a long time.  They're excellent.  I wish he'd return to M*.

N.


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Certainly gave a chuckle. Agreed wish he would come back.

Which one is Cape Cod? or are they both--they both sign off--Regards, Dick

Thanks for the link Astrokng.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Crazy.


@Meature wrote:

Certainly gave a chuckle. Agreed wish he would come back.

Which one is Cape Cod? or are they both--they both sign off--Regards, Dick

Thanks for the link Astrokng.


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

There is also a "Dick Cod".  Both provide good comments similar to the old "Cape Cod".

Likewise on the Fidelity community forum there used to be a "dickoncapecod".

Some believe he passed away due to health reasons.

Oz

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Dick is both. 

Or all three. 

There was an article a month or so ago when he reappeared. Dick explained some snafu associated with his log in profile and avatar. 

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4359538-pimco-cef-coverage-update 

So I'm guessing he goes by all of them. 

He does sign off his with Regards, Dick. So those are the ones that are his and not some impostor. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Thanks Astrokng

thats what I thought, the style was very similar

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

He is simply a true fan...  He uses his avatar when claiming a perfectly timed trading record.

Just kidding - supposedly, it's an admin snafu..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

N

" I wish he'd return to M*."

He could not comply with M* rules. So, he quit and went to seeking alpha.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

"Dick Cod ."

Dick used the blogging name of "Capecod." He is the correct one, not FD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick


@ECEPROF wrote:

N

" I wish he'd return to M*."

He could not comply with M* rules. So, he quit and went to seeking alpha.


Nah, the Dick just got fed up with the overly zealous moderation and moved on to Fidelity, later also to some other sites.  We thereby lost our best Fixed Income guy. 

I always enjoyed his self-depreciating sense of humor.  He never bragged and never took himself too seriously, a habit I've observed in competent, experienced individuals

N.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick


@astrokng wrote:

Dick is both. 

Or all three. 

There was an article a month or so ago when he reappeared. Dick explained some snafu associated with his log in profile and avatar. 

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4359538-pimco-cef-coverage-update 

So I'm guessing he goes by all of them. 

He does sign off his with Regards, Dick. So those are the ones that are his and not some impostor. 


Agreed.  He's a real Dick and he's both / all three.  We need at least one of them back.  I don't have time to chase him around the Internet.

N.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Capecod left/quit the old M* Discuss and didn't join the new M* Discussions. 

Several posters were lost in the transition. Some joined with new usernames. Most are using old usernames.

My observation is that posting traffic is down but posting viewership is up. And many new users are M* employees who sign up to access other areas of M* Community and may visit Discussions area only occasionally.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Thank you for posting Astro.  I've been a Cape fan for a while. 

I'm still concerned about a future PCI div cut after watching PONPX cut its div.  Yes they are different products but both are run by some of the same folks at PIMCO and both rely heavily on senior, legacy, non-agency MBS.  I welcome comments re my concern.

Thank you,

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

regarding cape cods comments on S/A... focusing on the last 3 months of nav increase while ignoring the following seems like a case of wishful thinking for fund paying out 11% on nav and just having seen the firms flagship mutual fund which owns similar assets cut its dividend 28%

 

pci returns on nav 1yr -13.19 3yr -6.44 5yr 7.63

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick


@yogibearbull wrote:

Capecod left/quit the old M* Discuss and didn't join the new M* Discussions. 

 

 

 

 


I am a member of Fidelity's Discuss Forum.

Capecod left M*, and started a Closed End Fund thread at Fidelity.  It was perhaps the most popular, longest-running OP thread at FIDO...thousand+  reply posts.

Then came COVID.

With CEF prices falling fast, some made contentious posts towards Dick.  Came a day during the downdraft, Capecod simply posted he was liquidating all his CEFs...and likely not investing in them for awhile...until uptrends were underway.

He never posted again.  Many were concerned re his health...but no word came.  Months later, some Fido posters  observed Dick  posting on another institutions forum.

R48

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Insightful Comments from Cape Cod aka Dick

Wow. Capecod is like Elvis. The man, the myth, the legend. Just the mention of him creates its own thread. Stay safe, everyone.

Announcements