cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Growth of $10,000

Does anyone know where I can get a growth of 10,000 chart that works for CEFs as well as mutual funds?  Stockcharts adjusts price for dividend, but that is not a growth chart.  Morningstar still does not have a growth chart that works for CEFs, like they used to.  Fidelity does not include CEFs on its chart either.

I find this amazing.  As an investor, I think this is the most valuable chart in the financial universe.  I mean, at the end of the day, don't you want to know how much money an investment actually made?  And don't you want to compare investments on that basis?  Seems to me these charts should be on every financial website.  I can't find a single one that fully does the job.

Cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Growth of $10,000

It has been shown [on old M* Discuss; my posts and by others] that Stockcharts adjusted-price charts track M* Growth of 10K quite closely - of course you have to adjust the scale. If you look at their shapes, they are similar - they would be parallel if put on the same chart. You can also verify by examples of mutual funds by computing the ratios of final values and initial values over several years.

M* CEF charts are for NAV. Actually, all M* charts are for NAV and that works fine for OEFs and almost for ETFs, but not for CEFs.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@zaharaone wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a growth of 10,000 chart that works for CEFs as well as mutual funds?  Stockcharts adjusts price for dividend, but that is not a growth chart.  Morningstar still does not have a growth chart that works for CEFs, like they used to.  Fidelity does not include CEFs on its chart either.

I find this amazing.  As an investor, I think this is the most valuable chart in the financial universe.  I mean, at the end of the day, don't you want to know how much money an investment actually made?  And don't you want to compare investments on that basis?  Seems to me these charts should be on every financial website.  I can't find a single one that fully does the job.

Cheers,

Paul

Portfolio Visualizer does just that for stocks or funds, or combinations.  You can choose time frames (from when to when) and whether or not you want to reinvest dividends/distributions.

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

PV does show Growth of 10K but the display is of monthly values. Stockcharts can show daily or weekly values.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@yogibearbull wrote:

PV does show Growth of 10K but the display is of monthly values. Stockcharts can show daily or weekly values.

Yup.  All depends on why you want the 'information'!  8-)

"I find this amazing. As an investor, I think this is the most valuable chart in the financial universe. I mean, at the end of the day, don't you want to know how much money an investment actually made? And don't you want to compare investments on that basis? Seems to me these charts should be on every financial website. I can't find a single one that fully does the job."

PV tells me much more than Stockcharts, Yahoo!, old or new M*, or anything else ever told me!  8-))

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Dividendchannel  also show growth, with and within reinvestment. 

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.