cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Are Higher Stock Allocations the Only Option for Retirees?

@retiredat48 wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@FD1001 wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

Simple fact.. I retired at age 48, and portfolio has grown in size, although I was prepared to have it reduce by the numbers you cited above, because the pension and SS was then kicking in.  And if my portfolio got smaller, I perhaps would not own a third house...I could adjust spending downward..and not be a member of a Jack Nicklaus designed Signature Golf Course...and tithe less...and not invite posters richardsok, and El Lobo to my club, on a beautiful river, and pay for his lunch...and so on.  You live according to your means.

Point is, why is any of my personal history relevant to this thread??  

R48

@retiredat48 

I'm not sure why you went there.  Personally, I've always been happy for folks that have done well.  After all, it doesn't change my situation, so why not be happy for others?  

R48 reply in bold...I didn't go anywhere "there".  FD keeps making these posts about my lifetime, retiring at age 48, etc and how "lucky" this was.  He ignores facts of my situation.  I begrudge no one for retiring early.  Heck, my (newer) gated golfing  community, had all retirees, average age 53 at one quarter buildout.  Must have been some "market timers" in that group.  I know they could all hit a 3 iron!

R48 in bold

ctyankee 

@retiredat48 

I know it might seem that way, but 3 irons are not part of a standard set of irons and haven't been for quite a while.  Part of that is that many club manufacturers have 'cheated' through the years to show that their clubs go longer.  So, a new 4 iron is really the old 3 iron, 5 iron the old 4 iron etc. (albeit more friendly to hit).  Another reason is the move to graphite shafts and the improvement in graphite shafts just continues.  Another reason is that, for many, hybrids have replaced the long iron.  Easier to get into the air and easier to hit out of the rough.  For the over-45 set, my club fitter generally recommends pitching wedge through 5 iron.  I really hit my 4 iron well, so that's not coming out of the bag anytime soon.  Golf is a game of confidence.  Our club championship starts tomorrow, wish me well. 

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@retiredat48 wrote:

@FD1001 wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

FD, are you purposely doing this "FAKE NEWS?"

I have posted to you before that the 7.8% withdrawal rate was only to get me to an age 60 GE pension...and age 62 Social Security.  At which times a lower rate of withdrawal was done.  

And in some years during age 60's, no withdrawal taken, as I converted Trad IRA monies to ROTH IRA.

Ignore his post.

R48

My numbers are based on your posts and are correct and why you posted that if you had to go back to work you would.

If you retired in 01/2000 invested in SP500 + 7.8% annual withdrawal this portfolio would be down by more than 70% by 2009 and down by 58 after 12 years. See link

vfinx.PNG

Let's see:

Do you recommend anybody NOW to retire at age 48 with 7.8% annual withdrawal to age 60 and then the rest?

Do you think you can find a serious financial adviser that would recommend what you did?

You keep speculating about things.

First, you cherry pick the top of the bull market run, then project onward.  But I knowingly did not retire then.  One chooses their retirement date and portfolio size knowing where the market is at that time, if they CHOOSE to retire early.  I submit most people would realize the dot com bubble was underway in the date you selected.

Second, you assume I needed the full 7.8% to live on.  I did not.  I explained in other posts the 7.8% came from the maximum "periodic annual distribution" formula the IRS has, to allow withdrawals without having any early IRA withdrawal penalty.  One has to take it annually to age 59 1/2.  I did so...then reduced it greatly.  This gave me the cushion in taxable accounts to use age sixties to convert Trad IRAs to ROTHs.  I did.

Simple fact.. I retired at age 48, and portfolio has grown in size, although I was prepared to have it reduce by the numbers you cited above, because the pension and SS was then kicking in.  And if my portfolio got smaller, I perhaps would not own a third house...I could adjust spending downward..and not be a member of a Jack Nicklaus designed Signature Golf Course...and tithe less...and not invite posters richardsok, and El Lobo to my club, on a beautiful river, and pay for his lunch...and so on.  You live according to your means.

R48

Absolutely I cherry-pick it to show that you were lucky. You happen to retire in one of the best times ever in 1995. I love success stories but yours was luck.

There is a good reason you stated if it would be successful you would go back to work because you knew it was risky  

But you "forgot" to answer my questions.  Suppose someone asks the following:

Do you recommend anybody NOW to retire at age 48 with 7.8% annual withdrawal to age 60 and then the rest?

Do you think you can find a serious financial adviser that would recommend what you did?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FD1001 wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@FD1001 wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

FD, are you purposely doing this "FAKE NEWS?"

I have posted to you before that the 7.8% withdrawal rate was only to get me to an age 60 GE pension...and age 62 Social Security.  At which times a lower rate of withdrawal was done.  

And in some years during age 60's, no withdrawal taken, as I converted Trad IRA monies to ROTH IRA.

Ignore his post.

R48

My numbers are based on your posts and are correct and why you posted that if you had to go back to work you would.

If you retired in 01/2000 invested in SP500 + 7.8% annual withdrawal this portfolio would be down by more than 70% by 2009 and down by 58 after 12 years. See link

vfinx.PNG

Let's see:

You keep speculating about things.

First, you cherry pick the top of the bull market run, then project onward.  But I knowingly did not retire then.  One chooses their retirement date and portfolio size knowing where the market is at that time, if they CHOOSE to retire early.  I submit most people would realize the dot com bubble was underway in the date you selected.

Second, you assume I needed the full 7.8% to live on.  I did not.  I explained in other posts the 7.8% came from the maximum "periodic annual distribution" formula the IRS has, to allow withdrawals without having any early IRA withdrawal penalty.  One has to take it annually to age 59 1/2.  I did so...then reduced it greatly.  This gave me the cushion in taxable accounts to use age sixties to convert Trad IRAs to ROTHs.  I did.

R48

Absolutely I cherry-pick it to show that you were lucky. You happen to retire in one of the best times ever in 1995. I love success stories but yours was luck.

There is a good reason you stated if it would be successful you would go back to work because you knew it was risky  

But you "forgot" to answer my questions.  Suppose someone asks the following:

Absolutely.

Easy answer...it depends on the size of ones portfolio, pension and social security!  In your worse case example, start with 2 million portfolio , drawdown to age 60, then have one million left.  Halt withdrawals...live on pension and SS...and some of portfolio if needed.

BTW many on these forums do not need their IRAs to live on.

Lastly let's examine another way to look at this.

Suppose someone age 63 wants to retire early, with a pension and SS starting at age 65.

They can withdraw their total spending needs for two years from their investment portfolio, to cover the two years from age 63 to age 65.  THEN, they start with their Safe Withdrawal Rate percentage from their portfolio...for 30 years.  Yes, the two years withdrawn are subtracted from your age 65 portfolio size.  If tolerable, you can then retire early.  If not, you keep working.

Plain fact, MOST people on these forums could retire a year or two early, if they really saw the techniques of how to do it.

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@FD1001 wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@retiredat48 

I know it might seem that way, but 3 irons are not part of a standard set of irons and haven't been for quite a while.  Part of that is that many club manufacturers have 'cheated' through the years to show that their clubs go longer.  So, a new 4 iron is really the old 3 iron, 5 iron the old 4 iron etc. (albeit more friendly to hit).  Another reason is the move to graphite shafts and the improvement in graphite shafts just continues.  Another reason is that, for many, hybrids have replaced the long iron.  Easier to get into the air and easier to hit out of the rough.  For the over-45 set, my club fitter generally recommends pitching wedge through 5 iron.  I really hit my 4 iron well, so that's not coming out of the bag anytime soon.  Golf is a game of confidence.  Our club championship starts tomorrow, wish me well. 

ctyankee

Yes, I agree...most of us seniors now use hybrids for long irons.

But that doesn't mean we still can't hit a three iron.

But as golfer Lee Trevino said, "only God can hit a one iron!"  (That's why in lightening, you stand holding a one iron upward)

Good luck on your play.  In our club, due Covid, we give all putts within 6 feet!...social distancing, you know.

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@retiredat48 wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@FD1001 wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@retiredat48 

ctyankee

But as golfer Lee Trevino said, "only God can hit a one iron!"  (That's why in lightening, you stand holding a one iron upward)

Good luck on your play.  In our club, due Covid, we give all putts within 6 feet!...social distancing, you know.

R48

Thanks.  Like Pebble Beach, we have poa annua greens, which grow oddly.  So, by the afternoon, those cut and rolled greens can be and will be ... uneven.  Nothing like having a 3 1/2 foot knee-knocker for the club championship on poa annua greens.  Will the putt roll true ...? 

ctyankee 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@FD1001 wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@retiredat48 

ctyankee

R48

Thanks.  Like Pebble Beach, we have poa annua greens, which grow oddly.  So, by the afternoon, those cut and rolled greens can be and will be ... uneven.  Nothing like having a 3 1/2 foot knee-knocker for the club championship on poa annua greens.  Will the putt roll true ...? 

ctyankee 

All putts are straight ... if you hit 'em hard enough..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@kzug wrote:

ctyankee 

All putts are straight ... if you hit 'em hard enough..

@kzug 

True and ...

Benign Data Races: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@FD1001 wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@retiredat48 

ctyankee

R48

ctyankee 

I grew up with poa annua.

All putting is "speed"!

Win that championship!  I have a drawer full of broken golf trophies.  One still standing...can't separate from them.

BTW I have a couple of very rare things:  1)  back to back Eagles on consecutive holes; 2) A hole-in-one on the par 3 hole I live on!  I look out each morning with good memories.  Almost as good as a good looking spouse.

R48

0 Kudos
Announcements