cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

What to do with $600,000 cash

Hi

-I sold my rental for $722,000 free and clear, after paying capital gains, I should have $600,000 leftover.

-I am 70 years old and healthy, I collect $1761 per month from Social Security, I need a minimum of additional $1500 -ideally $2000-  My goal is a monthly income of $3000.

$600,000 is my nest egg.

- I am debts free-

How should I invest $600,000 for a 3-4% withdrawal rate?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: What to do with $600,000 cash

My guess is you will be setting this money up in a taxable brokerage account?

You could begin investing in high yield stocks. It would be hard to get much yield from bond funds and keep a handle on risk.

My way for doing it would be to invest for growth, investing in equity. Given your immediate time frame, I would look to safe short term investments for a portion of your money. I would assume you would wish to keep some part of this highly liquid. Given this, some cash into online savings accounts for next few years.

I would suggest Vanguard and looking into funds like VWINX along with something like an S&P 500 fund, VFIAX for starts.

I cannot say you would yield 4%, but if you did, it would be partly from principle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

All PIMIX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Is that not a $1 million minimum requirement to start?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I hope that you figure out the tax consequences already. 

Since this is the base for your living, conservative investment (i.e., preserving principal with steady and regular income) is the way to go.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I consider VTINX (Target Retirement Income) to be one of the cheapest, most diversified and least risky ways to achieve your goal. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Seeker101 wrote:

Hi

-I sold my rental for $722,000 free and clear, after paying capital gains, I should have $600,000 leftover.

-I am 70 years old and healthy, I collect $1761 per month from Social Security, I need a minimum of additional $1500 -ideally $2000-  My goal is a monthly income of $3000.

$600,000 is my nest egg.

- I am debts free-

How should I invest $600,000 for a 3-4% withdrawal rate?

Thanks

Not enough information.  What is your volatility tolerance? what is your max loss from any last top? Do you care to leave something for heirs? Do you want to max returns? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

No need to worry or look any further.  I will send you a postage paid self addressed envelope.  Just mail your cash and checks to me.  No more worries.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Open an account at Vanguard.  Put $500k in PIMIX, $90K in VWIAX, or VCOBX if risk adverse, and $10K in VUBFX for seed money, and direct all dividends to that fund for spending money.  Should give you your desired income.  

0 Kudos
Announcements