cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: VLAIX is a strong alternative to PRWCX

@Wheaton wrote:

Although I own PRWCX, I also had the Value Line funds on my tracking spreadsheet. The returns looked good, but I was puzzled as to why their AUM was so low. Then I read about their history (interesting reading) and thought, "Forget it." 

I own both funds but am not aware of the history you are alluding to.  I am thinking of increasing my holding in VLAIX and so would appreciate it if you could please share the history.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Much more of a spread between PRWCX and VLAIX today. I don't know but I am guessing it has to do with its bond portion. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

archer,

PRWCX =4.88%, VLAIX=4.62%.  PRWCX percentage became available later than 7PM EST. Morningstar old does not have this value, but the March 12 value.

SRT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@sthanga Weird. I checked it on Yahoo after close and it was over 6%! Maybe I read something wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

After putting Most of our Extra $ into Bal Funds  while we were working yrs and then waiting until we could afford to Live on about 3% yr off it  and allow our SS to grow for 5 more yrs ? We then Bailed on Our BF's since didn't Need, nor want to  run some of our $  in a 60/40 Port and just kept the wife's Wellesly and Most of the rest was Put into  A Utility Stock( WEC)  and rest in Some Bonds( BIV, BLV) and any extra in more Riskier Bond funds, like PIMIX, PIGIX, GTO, SEMPX and  "Of course due to Our  "X=Per-Tease"( Not really..)

Maybe some fo you might be running into a similar situatioin?

1. All your Remaining Relatives are pretty Well off or will be and don't Need your $, like we cokuld have from our Folks?

We helped put the Kids thru Coillege and now they have Better Jobs and Some even Paid Us Back the $30-$40k we gave them to finish up College and another $10-$30k to Pay off their Boyfriends to Marry them and Take them out of our Home and not fight with their mother anymore!

Not leaving it all to Charities and not till We're Dead, to be sure we will have enough!!

Have to next.. Sell our Collector Toys( Cars, Boats, etc...)  Our Kids and Grandkids don't want our 67' Muscle cars, Death Traps!!!

The best Roths are In Real Estate, but Only if In the Better Markets and then Rent them out..

We got back into TownHmes in our Summer Resort Town..Back to owning 3 of them Live In one and Rent the Other 2 ( on both sides of us) out...Now getting Older and Less able to Get around? Good thing we did that ...

Still have Her Parents Twnhme down in the Clearwater/Naples area, butLet both sides of our families use it or recenltly  her Retired YTounger Brother and Wife Retired and took our TwnHome  for the Winter and they got another one way up North In Northern Wisc.( Eagle River) Area!  Beautifull Country up there is into the Outdoors and Lakes and Fishing and used to be Black Bears walking into your Campsite at nite and asking for a Starbucks!!!!

;-)

One of the Better Side effects of WWII and There after..

Peace

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

This is fun reading the pre-Covid comments regarding PRWCX and VLAIX and a few other funds, Ie. VMVFX.  Did RainGater load up?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

And, VLAIX is still doing quite well compared to wunderkind PRWCX:

Symbol     Fund Name             1 Wk     13 Wk      YTD       1 Yr       3 Yr (Annualized)       

PRWCXT Rowe Price Cap App-2.32%14.08%-1.63%5.20%9.12%  
VLAIXValue Line Asst All;Inst-1.11%13.34%1.58%8.19%11.31%  
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Right on Fred. I hold VLAAX and VWIAX in equal amounts. Likely will continue to add to each when cash is a available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

I am adding VLAAX to my portfolio as it complements PRWCX with different holdings and the higher percentage of midcap.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@Bartab wrote:

I am adding VLAAX to my portfolio as it complements PRWCX with different holdings and the higher percentage of midcap.  

Yes, these two complement each other and only substitutes should be compared to each other.  Also, the cap weighting, equity weighting, and credit quality of VLAIX tend to be more constant from year to year than PRWCX.   I would categorize VLAIX as more conservative and expect to lose less in a down market and gain less in an up market for equities and credit.   I think PRWCX expects to match or beat SPY over a market cycle but VLAIX has no such aspiration.

A good substitute (and thus a good comparison) to PRWCX could be FBAKX.   Of course, both also carry large AUMs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@Anitya wrote:

@Bartab wrote:

Yes, these two complement each other and only substitutes should be compared to each other.  Also, the cap weighting, equity weighting, and credit quality of VLAIX tend to be more constant from year to year than PRWCX.   I would categorize VLAIX as more conservative and expect to lose less in a down market and gain less in an up market for equities and credit.   I think PRWCX expects to match or beat SPY over a market cycle but VLAIX has no such aspiration.

A good substitute (and thus a good comparison) to PRWCX could be FBAKX.   Of course, both also carry large AUMs.

Interestingly though, VLAIX has faired the downmarket YTD with lower SD than PRWCX, and earned more. Sorry, but hyperlinking has stopped working for me on this site:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&timePeriod=4&startYear=2020&firstMonth=1&...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

VLAIX AUM is 1.5B compared to PRWCX @37B.  Is that an advantage or a sign of disinterest in VLAAX/VLAIX or other reasons?

In a post above @Wheaton alluded to some problems in ValueLine history. Does anyone know of this? He never replied to the question.

I see PRWCX had almost one billion outflow during recent crisis, whereas it appears VLAIX had inflow.

All comments are appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@Sheryldell wrote:

<snip>

In a post above @Wheaton alluded to some problems in ValueLine history. Does anyone know of this? He never replied to the question.

<snip>

I don't know what Wheaton was referring to. However, Value Line was accused of charging bogus commissions on trades/brokerage services for many years.

"The S.E.C. accused Value Line, Ms. Buttner, the former chief compliance officer David Henigson and Value Line Securities of charging more than $24 million in bogus commissions on phantom trades and brokerage services in nine Value Line mutual funds from 1986 through November 2004."

Link

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@fred495 wrote:

And, VLAIX is still doing quite well compared to wunderkind PRWCX:

Symbol     Fund Name             1 Wk     13 Wk      YTD       1 Yr       3 Yr (Annualized)       

PRWCXT Rowe Price Cap App-2.32%14.08%-1.63%5.20%9.12%  
VLAIXValue Line Asst All;Inst-1.11%13.34%1.58%8.19%11.31%  

I don't know why people upset or denying when you post about one fund that has done better than another.  Usually, it means they own the lower performance fund.

VLAIX also invests in higher-rated bonds and why it has a better ballast than PRWCX.

As usual, the rest is just noise.

Announcements